Monday 13 May 2013

Part 8 - the Moscow Metro

Even though I found the metro totally bewildering when I rolled off the train from Kiev at 6.30am (so much so that I chickened out and went for a taxi) I had another go in the afternoon and found it easy-peasy.

Every station has a cash desk where you go and buy your tickets. I just held my fingers up to say how many rides I wanted on the ticket. They give you an Oyster-type card which you then press up to the sensor on the barrier - the screen tells you how many credits you have left. The barriers look like they're open before you approach them but if you don't put your card up to it, some metal poles WILL shoot out and maim you. I didn't actually try this but it is actually as harsh as it sounds. No one in Moscow tries to dodge their fares.



People talk about the stations as being these grandiose affairs with chandeliers, murals, frescos, etc and they are right. Some more impressive than others and all of them better than the London Underground. This is Kurskaya station:



VDNZh metro:





Komsomsolkaya was the nicest I think I went to.







Kitay-Gorod station. A lot of the stations also have this helpful interchange thing, on the wall on the tunnel where the trains run.



Some of the trains have electronic indicators which show which station you're approaching which was helpful. Obviously when I say electronic indicators, these are a close cousin of their video games.



No comments:

Post a Comment