Tuesday 14 May 2013

Part 20 - My odyssey of beers from many lands

While my experience on the Trans-Siberian train wasn't the drunken vodka-fuelled rampage that everyone claims it to be, I did manage to sample a lot of the local fare. I didn't JUST drink beer, but hey, it's Russia, not much else to do sometimes ...

This actually says Zhiguly. It was very nice. It was 250 roubles (£5.20) for 500ml in the Hotel Cosmos. It was also 55 roubles (£1.14) in the kiosk at Ulan Ude. 9/10.



This is Kozel, a Czech beer served in the wrong glass by a very unhelpful barman. It also cost about 300 roubles (£6.20) for 500ml in the Hotel Cosmos. Wasn't very nice though. 6/10.



I had this one, Stare Misto, in the London Pub (what else) in Kiev. Despite lack of Cyrllic it's a Ukrainian beer. 8/10.



Chernigiv-something? Another Ukrainian feast. 7/10.



This is Spaten, served in the wrong glass in my hotel in Moscow. Grumpy barman didn't make it taste better. 5/10.



Baltika 7 was the best of the Baltikas we saw. There was a 0, a 3 and a 9 version too and there are probably all the ones in between too. They vary in strength but this one hit the spot. 9/10.



Here it is again, in a one-litre can version. That's quite a big can. They're common in Russia (in places that actually have stocks of beer).



Abakanskoe beer. Better than the food. 7/10.



Syngur beer from Mongolia. This was very enjoyable. 9/10.



Borgio - as it says on the can, a Mongolian "lager beer" (those two words just make me think of Mitchell and Webb). 7/10.



Finally, a continuation of my journey which I didn't quite make. This is Hite, a South Korean beer I picked up in a supermarket in Peace Street, Ulaanbaatar. It cost about 60 pence but most beers were a bit cheaper than that. It was quite nice - like a lot of Eastern beers it is brewed from rice instead of hops. 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment